Intelligent, faithful, energetic
Country of Origin
Soft undercoat with harsh outercoat
Clubs, Registries & Associations
(Based on breed recognition. See store for details on this particular puppy.)
- American Canine Association
- American Kennel Club
- America's Pet Registry, Inc.
- Continental Kennel Club
- United All Breed Registry
- United Kennel Club
- Universal Kennel Club International
The Cairn Terrier is known as one of the ancient working dogs. You might recall in the classic film The Wizard of Oz, Toto was a Cairn Terrier. They are low-shedding dogs whose faces have a fox-like appearance. Their heads are really big compared to their bodies. The coat can be black, black and brown, wheaten, red, sandy, grey or brindle. The Cairn Terrier is a very alert dog breed, a bit bossy and curious too. They are usually very gentle and make a great family pet, but they can be stubborn so obedience training is essential. Keep in mind, the Cairn Terrier was bred to hunt so they have a natural instinct to dig and chase little pets.
- They are playful and love their homes but can become withdrawn and unhappy if they are not given adequate time and attention by their owners.
- They can be aggressive so early training is the key to owning a good, socialized Cairn Terrier.
- The breed is energetic and usually barks at even small things and they are always on the lookout so they make good watchdogs who will alert you to the existence of strangers.