Spirited, fearless, sturdy
Country of Origin
Short, smooth double coat
Clubs, Registries & Associations
(Based on breed recognition. See store for details on this particular puppy.)
- American Canine Association
- Continental Kennel Club
- Universal Kennel Club International
- American Kennel Club
- United All Breed Registry
- America's Pet Registry, Inc.
- United Kennel Club
This is not the breed for an inexperienced or first-time dog owner. The Jack Russell Terrier is a spirited, fearless, assertive and active breed. Named after the Reverend John Russell in the 19th century, the Jack Russell Terrier is an intelligent and amusing breed, bred to hunt, dig, track and roam. Today's talents include hunting, tracking and agility. A fence is a must, and they are also able climbers and high jumpers, so supervise your Jack Russell Terrier. They need an owner who is experienced with dogs: give them an inch and they'll take a mile — they are wonderful, yet willful and determined to complete whatever is on their agenda. Jack Russell Terriers are super active dogs: it's a high-energy breed and needs a lot of daily exercise or they can develop other behavior issues such as aggression or destruction. The Jack Russell Terrier is a sturdy, tough little dog with a smooth double coat that comes in white with tan, brown or black markings.
- Jack Russell terriers require exercise and they're wonderful with interactive toys and games for mental stimulation too. This breed is not for those who live a sedentary lifestyle.
- They are a loving and very loyal breed of dog, hopelessly devoted to their family but they require a lot of time and attention.
- Best with older children who respect their boundaries. They do not tolerate teasing from kids. Be sure to socialize your Jack Russell puppy at a very early age.
- Not to be trusted with non-canine pets and may be aggressive to other dogs. They won't back down from a dogfight.