Smart, friendly, obedient
Country of Origin
Outer: curly, wiry
Clubs, Registries & Associations
(Based on breed recognition. See store for details on this particular puppy.)
- American Canine Association, Inc.
- American Canine Registry
- American Kennel Club
- American Pet Registry, Inc.
- Continental Kennel Club
- Dog Registry of America, Inc.
- North American Purebred Registry, Inc.
- National Kennel Club
- United Kennel Club
The name "Schnauzer" is German for "snout" and refers to the dog's bushy beard, eyes and moustache, commonly likened to a walrus's moustache. This was passed down from its forebear, the Standard Schnauzer. The coat can be found in black, black and silver and salt and pepper. The Standard Schnauzer was bred from generations of farm dogs that had to be smart, fast and courageous in order to guard and protect much larger livestock. They had to be astute watchdogs so as to alert the farmer of peril. Today, the Miniature Schnauzer is all of those things; intelligent, eager to please and brave. The breed takes well to obedience training; in fact, it rather appreciates being taught right from wrong which makes the dogs fun to train. They are active and don't like to be at rest for long periods of time nor do they like being left alone for long periods.
Miniature Schnauzers are a breed that don't shed a lot. If you're looking for other dogs that don't shed, check out our blog!
- The Miniature Schnauzer makes a very good watchdog and will bark if it senses a threat, but it's neither overly aggressive nor likely to bite or attack a stranger.
- The breed is not large so it doesn't require a whole lot of living space; therefore, it can be suited for an apartment but the dogs will need proper exercise to burn off energy. Proper socialization does well in helping the Miniature Schnauzer get along with other members of the family but because of its heritage it may chase cats and other small critters.
- These dogs crave attention and direction: they are working dogs and should be given tasks that make their owner happy because they are so eager to please.