Should I adopt or purchase?
You have options when it comes to deciding where to go in order to find the best pet for you and your family. We believe you should be able to select the dog of your choice from the place of your choice.
A few suggestions:
- Adopt or purchase only from a place willing to take the pet back if things don’t work because if they are willing to make this guarantee, chances are they will make an effort to match you with a pet that best suits your lifestyle.
- Click here to learn about our Homes for Life program where we assume lifetime responsibility for every puppy we sell, in that, if for any reason a customer cannot keep the puppy that he/she purchased, we will take the puppy back (at any age) and assume the responsibility (free of charge) for finding it a new home.
- You may be able to find a breed-specific rescue group that specializes in the dog you want or you may find a dog that is close enough to that breed in a rescue organization or shelter.
- Sometimes you can find purebred puppies and/or dogs in shelters and it never hurts to look.
- Don’t assume all rescue groups or animal shelters are created equal. There are those that truly care about pets and others that unfortunately don’t have great track records. Do your homework and research the ones you plan to visit.
Animal shelters and private rescue organizations are very important to our community as a whole and to the pet industry. They almost always contain loving, wonderful pets that most often, and through no fault of their own, were surrendered by their owners, abandoned or found as strays. Many animals in shelters and that come from rescue groups will make wonderful pets.
In fact, the main reasons pets are surrendered have little to nothing to do with the pet at all and include:
- Lack of training
- Lifestyle changes
- Not enough time for the pet
- Finances/cost of ownership
- Health issues
- Behavioral issues
These pets deserve forever homes as much as any other loving animal. If you are interested in a rescue pet it’s best to visit a local shelter or even more than one until you find what is best for you and/or your family.
The fact is upwards of 2 million dogs and cats are euthanized in shelters across the country every year and adoption is the only way to make a dent in that number. We encourage prospective pet owners to visit animal shelters and/or rescue groups. We specialize in selling purebred and designer (hybrid) puppies, not commonly found in animal shelters.
A few suggestions about adopting:
- Do not believe the myth that shelter dogs have no family or behavioral history. Many of the pets in shelters or rescue groups are there because their owners turned them in owing to financial or housing issues and many come with family history.
- Some shelters and rescue groups keep their dogs in foster homes and those families can be a wealth of information about the specific nature of a pet you want to adopt.
- Always ask about health and behavioral evaluations the pet has undergone since its arrival.
Purchasing a Puppy
Puppies ‘N Love and Animal Kingdom pet stores specialize in purebred and/or hybrid puppies for those who desire a specific breed. We sell puppies from well-screened, humane, well-trusted and, if commercial, USDA-licensed breeders only.
There are many valid reasons why people choose to buy purebred puppies from us including:
- Wanting a puppy whose parents have been carefully selected for health and who have gone through genetic testing to ensure the dog has the best chance of being healthy and well-adjusted.
- The ability to predict the dog’s size, care requirements, temperament and more from 100-plus years of traceable pedigrees.
- The puppies have been socialized which greatly affects how well-adjusted they become as adults.
- Reputable pet stores (like ours) will allow you to return a puppy if the union does not work out successfully.
- The puppies have been examined by a veterinarian and come with health records.
- The ability to research a breed that fits a specific lifestyle and personality increases the likelihood of a successful union.
Animal Kingdom | Arizona Mills Mall
5000 S Arizona Mills Circle
Tempe, AZ 85282
Puppies 'N Love | Arrowhead Towne Center
7700 W Arrowhead Towne Center
Glendale, AZ 85308
Puppies 'N Love | Paradise Valley Mall
4550 E Cactus Road
Phoenix, AZ 85032
Puppies 'N Love | SanTan Village
2174 E Williams Field Road
Gilbert, AZ 85295
Animal Kingdom | Tucson Mall
4500 N Oracle Road
Tucson, AZ 85705