A popular designer toy dog, the Mal-Shi is a cross between the Maltese and Shi Tzu. Also known as the Malt-Tzu, the breed was designed to be a low-shedder and makes for a very popular companion pet as they are easy to train and a delight to have around. The Mal-Shi’s coat is long, soft and silky with a bit of wave.
Mal-Shis are usually white or white with tan markings but they can be a combination of other colors including black, brown, black and white, brown and white, and black and brown. The Mal-shi is an adaptable, intelligent dog. They are likely to be active and outgoing, if not downright boisterous, but occasionally you find the laid-back and quiet personality. Your Mal-Shi will need some exercise, like a daily walk or a spirited game of catch.
- The most important aspect of life for this breed is family: nothing else matters as much as being with you. If he has that, everything else is negotiable.
- Mal-Shis are a joy to be around: they’re gentle and affectionate, playful and fearless.
- The Mal-Shi has moderate exercise needs and will curb his habits to reflect yours. If you’re active, he will keep up with you. But if you’re more laid-back, he’ll be happy to hang out with you.
Clubs, Registries, Associations
- American Canine Hybrid Club
- Designer Dogs Kennel Club
- International Designer Canine Registry
- Designer Breed Registry
- Dog Registry of America, Inc.
Average Weight: 6-12 lbs.
Personality Traits: Adaptable, intelligent, loving
Country of Origin: United States
Coat: Soft, long, silky