The Miniature Australian Shepherd (North American Miniature Australian Shepherd) is a very good looking breed with a relaxed, playful personality. It has a medium-length coat that you most often find in blue or red merle or red and black tricolor – both with white and/or tan markings. The coat varies from straight to slightly wavy. Discover more about our Mini Australian Shepherd puppies for sale below.
This breed is highly intelligent and known for having a sort-of sixth sense about what its owner is thinking. This also makes them easy to train. Australian Shepherds really do well when you give them a job to do, as they are active and can get bored quite easily. They can also show signs of nervousness and destruction if left alone too long with no physical or mental stimulation. Overall, this will make a devoted family pet and does super well around children.
Mini Aussie Temperament
Miniature Australian Shepherds are easygoing puppies that love to play. Courageous, loyal and affectionate, they are excellent children’s companions especially active children. They make devoted friends and guardians. Very lively, agile and attentive, they are eager to please with a sixth sense about what the owner wants.
Miniature Australian Shepherds are highly intelligent and easy to train. They can become nervous and destructive if left alone too much without enough mental and physical exercise. They need a job to do, as the breed is very intelligent, active and thus easily bored. Socialize your dog well when it is a puppy to avoid it becoming suspicious of strangers.
Some like to nip people’s heels in an attempt to herd them. They need to be taught herding humans is not acceptable. A fine companion, it also enjoys working small stock. They are quiet workers. This breed is not usually dog-aggressive.
Make sure you are this dog’s firm, confident, consistent pack leader, to avoid Small Dog Syndrome, human-induced behavior problems. Always remember, dogs are canines, not humans. Be sure to meet their natural instincts as animals.
- The breed is not large so it doesn’t require a whole lot of living space; therefore, it can be suited for an apartment but it will need proper exercise to burn off energy. They are moderately active indoors and will do okay with a small yard. This breed will do well in cold climates.
- Not dog aggressive and does great with kids of all ages but keep in mind this is a herding breed, so some puppies will try to nip at your heels as they think it’s their job to herd you. You need to teach them that herding humans is not acceptable.
- As a responsible owner of this breed, you must establish that you’re the pack leader so as to avoid Small Dog Syndrome, a human-induced behavior issue in small dogs leading them to think they are the leader if/when undesirable behaviors are not fixed at a young age.
Clubs, Registries, & associations
Miniature Australian Shepherd Club of America
- National Stock Dog Registry
- America’s Pet Registry, Inc.
- American Stock Dog Registry
- Dog Registry of America
- Breed Group: Herding
- Average Weight: 15 – 35 lbs.
- Personality Traits: Loyal, Affectionate, Brave
- Country of Origin: USA
- Coat: Medium length. Straight or wavy.
Check out the Mini Australian Shepherd puppies for sale we currently have in our stores. If there are none below, please contact us and we’ll be in touch.