The Cairn Terrier is known as one of the ancient working dogs. You might recall in the classic film The Wizard of Oz; Toto was a Cairn Terrier. They are low-shedding dogs whose faces have a fox-like appearance. Their heads are really big compared to their bodies. The coat can be black, black and brown, wheaten, red, sandy, grey or brindle. The Cairn Terrier is a very alert dog breed, a bit bossy and curious too. They are usually very gentle and make a great family pet, but they can be stubborn, so obedience training is essential. Keep in mind, the Cairn Terrier was bred to hunt so they have a natural instinct to dig and chase little pets. Discover more about the Cairn Terrier puppies for sale below!
- They are playful and love their homes but can become withdrawn and unhappy if they are not given adequate time and attention by their owners.
- They can be aggressive, so early training is the key to owning a good, socialized Cairn Terrier.
- The breed is energetic and usually barks at even small things and they are always on the lookout so they make good watchdogs who will alert you to the existence of strangers.
Clubs, Registries & Associations
(Based on breed recognition. See store for details on a particular puppy.)
- American Canine Association
- Continental Kennel Club
- Universal Kennel Club International
- American Kennel Club
- United All Breed Registry
- America’s Pet Registry, Inc.
- United Kennel Club
Average Weight: 13-18 lbs.
Personality Traits: Intelligent, faithful, energetic
Country of Origin: Scotland
Coat: Soft undercoat with harsh outercoat
Check out the Cairn Terrier puppies for sale we currently have in our stores. If there are none here, please contact us and we’ll be in touch. Our knowledgeable staff can answer any questions.