The Pekingese is a little courageous breed of dog and despite its small stature and delicate appearance, it should not simply be regarded as a lapdog. The Pekingese is a fearless, alert and devoted guard dog packed into a small toy body. It’s well-known as a small Chinese lion because it will dare to confront any threat to its family or belongings, which is why it makes such a perfect watchdog. Discover more about our Pekingese puppies for sale below!
The breed is passionately caring toward its owner(s) and toward children; however, it has a very low tolerance for child’s play. Your Pekingese very well might snap at young kids who either play rough with it, pull its hair or tail and/or try to swipe its toys, food or other belongings. That said, this dog makes a great, devoted companion because of the very strong, loving bond it feels with its caretaker and owner.
- The Pekingese is independent and a bit possessive of its owner so it can be stubborn and reserved with strangers.
- The Pekingese has a special love and affection for cats but can hold a slight aggression toward dogs if not socialized from a young age. When socialized from a young age, the Pekingese is loving toward all house pets.
- The breed prefers the indoors – unlike sporting dogs – which makes it a top choice for apartment dwellers, though consistent walks or backyard play will help it burn off natural energy.
Clubs, Registries & Associations
(Based on breed recognition. See store for details on this particular puppy.)
- American Canine Association
- Continental Kennel Club
- Universal Kennel Club International
- American Kennel Club
- United All Breed Registry
- America’s Pet Registry, Inc.
- United Kennel Club
Average Weight: 6-13 lbs.
Personality Traits: Courageous, alert, devoted
Country of Origin: China
Coat: Long, flowing double coat, Outer: Long, course, Under: soft, thick
Check out the Pekingese puppies for sale we currently have in our stores. If there are none here, please contact us and we’ll be in touch.