Friendly, intelligent, patient
Country of Origin
Long, straight, fine
Clubs, Registries & Associations
(Based on breed recognition. See store for details on this particular puppy.)
- American Canine Association Inc.
- American Canine Registry
- American Kennel Club
- American Pet Registry, Inc.
- Continental Kennel Club
- Dog Registry of America, Inc.
- North American Purebred Registry, Inc.
- National Kennel Club
- United Kennel Club
The Papillon is a small, toy dog also called the Continental Toy Spaniel and/or even the butterfly dog since its ears look like butterfly wings. The Papillon has a beautiful long, fine and straight coat that’s white in color with patches of other colors (except liver) on its body: a mask of color (other than white) covers its ears and eyes from back to front. This is one of the oldest breeds of dogs, with a history that dates back about 700 years in Europe. They have a strong instinct to protect their surroundings/property so they are known to bark excessively when exposed to nearby noise or excitement, not able to distinguish that from true danger but they are not generally yappers. For this reason the Papillon is not a good choice for apartment dwellers.
- Good with cats and other pets when they are raised and/or socialized with them and can be trusted with young children so they make a delightful family pet.
- Owners of this breed should be patient as the Papillon might be hard to housebreak but once they are, they make wonderful pets and they are easy to train otherwise.
- They love outdoor exercise and they are very lively and animated though this breed is also known for its love of cuddling with its owner.