The Aussiedoodle is a medium sized, extremely fluffy and super cute breed of designer dog created by crossing an Australian Shepherd and a Standard Poodle. Like most designer dogs created from a crossing of two purebreds, the Aussiedoodle’s physical characteristics can sometime vary. But overall, they are a medium sized dog with a slim yet strong body. Their coats vary in color and their fur is curly and soft to the touch. Discover more about our Aussiedoodle puppies for sale below!
Owing to the Poodle influence, the Aussiedoodle may have a wide variety of coats and the length is generally moderate, they can be slightly wavy to very wavy or wool like the Poodle. No matter the amount of curl they most always have a VERY soft coat. They compare to other doodles like the Goldendoodle in coat texture.
Crossing the two breeds gives you a dog that has the flashy Australian Shepherd color combinations and those amazing human-like eyes! Australian Shepherds are perceptive and bright as well as easy to train mixed with the high intelligence and humor of the Poodle. Couple that with the Poodle’s excellent conformation and non-shedding coats and you get this amazing dog called the Aussiedoodle. Plus, they are super cute!
Aussiedoodles, like both their parents, are extremely intelligent and highly trainable. They are also eager to please and love having a job, such as playing catch or competing in agility. They are an excellent choice for intermediate dog owners who can keep up with their energy levels. They are very family orientated and love spending time with their owners. Aussiedoodles excel in agility and are often used as service or therapy dogs. They are a well-rounded breed that love to play but can be content to lay at your feet as long as they also get adequate exercise.
The Aussiedoodle is a relatively new designer dog breed that is in high demand. Both the Australian Shepherd and the Poodle are remarkably smart dogs with sweet and playful natures, which makes them fantastic companions.
The Aussiedoodle is considered low to non-shedding and therefore may not be for a severe allergy sufferer; however, a person with mild to moderate allergies should not have any problem with an Aussiedoodle. This is because the hair gene from the Poodle is a dominant gene over the double coated fur gene from the Aussie. So, unlike the Poodle which needs to be professionally groomed every 6-8 weeks, the Aussiedoodle usually can go almost twice as long between haircuts. In fact, a first generation Aussiedoodle has a greater chance of being a non-shedding dog than any future generation.
The Aussiedoodle is amazingly smart, willing to work for you and super easy to train! Sometimes only requiring to be shown once or twice what is expected of them, as they live to please you! They love kids and are an awesome choice as an all-around patient family dog. They are great companions for camping, fishing, hiking or just hanging out around the house and lounging on the couch! Once you own an Aussiedoodle, you will wonder how you went through life without one. Aussiedoodles make GREAT family companions!
The goal of crossing the Australian Shepherd and the Standard Poodle was to produce Aussiedoodle puppies that holds desired traits from both the Poodle and the Australian Shepherd and for their non-shedding results.
Some Doodle mixes, such as the Bernedoodle or the Labradoodle, have a well-documented origin story, but the Aussiedoodle does not. Our best guess is that the Aussiedoodle shares his history with other designer dogs – meaning, they were first born sometime in the last 20 years, somewhere in the United States.
|Breed Group||Average Weight||Personality Traits||Country of Origin||Coat|
|Hybrid||25-70 lbs.|| |
Playful, energetic, loving, devoted
- Aussiedoodle puppies are extremely affectionate and devoted towards their owners and should never be raised outdoors or in kennels.
- Aussiedoodles have a relatively high level of energy and should be provided with an outlet to drain this excess energy daily. An hourly walk or jog will do, as these dogs love following their human companions wherever they go.
- A hybrid dog’s temperament can often differ greatly based on the specific genetic contribution of each parent.
- However, when it comes to Aussiedoodles they are generally regarded as extremely intelligent, playful and loving dogs. The traits that they inherit come from both their Poodle and Australian Shepherd parents.
- They require constant human interaction and affection to maintain a happy and balanced life. However, as with all dogs, it is important that the Aussiedoodle’s owners provide it with rules, boundaries, and limitations as well as consistent leadership to ensure a well-behaved and balanced dog.
- Aussiedoodles are extremely loving towards children and make excellent family pets. They should, however, be supervised around very young children as they can accidentally hurt them due to their high energy.
- Aussiedoodles sometimes retain the herding instincts of the Australian Shepherd and these instincts should be kept in check and corrected from a very early age. Early training and socialization are extremely important.
- An Aussiedoodle that is well cared for will often enjoy a lifespan of 13 -15 years.
Clubs, Registries & Associations
Check out the Aussiedoodle puppies for sale we currently have in our stores. If there are none here, please contact us and we’ll be in touch.