The Chow Chow was originally bred to be a working dog but now serves mostly as a companion breed. Chows are very distinctive looking with a regal, proud appearance and a fiercely loyal personality. A dedicated companion the Chow Chow is a good guard dog and suspicious of strangers. Chows are quite unique in that they have a blue-black tongue and nearly straight hind legs. Its coat can be of the rough or smooth variety, both have woolly undercoats to insulate against the cold. In order to maintain its mane, you will need to regularly groom your Chow Chow. Coat colors are red (light golden to deep mahogany), black, blue, cinnamon and cream. Often mistaken for mean or ill-tempered owing to its intimidating appearance, a well-bred Chow is not aggressive rather reserved and dedicated to its family. Discover more about our Chow Chow puppies for sale below.
- The Chow Chow is not the correct choice of breed if you are looking for a lap dog or one that wants to cuddle with you as they can be aloof and very independent, and they are not big fans of being coddled and hugged.
- Your Chow Chow will be a quiet companion and tends to favor one individual owner but will also extend its love to other members of the family.
- The Chow Chow is less eager to please than most other dog breeds but it’s very good with children and (if/when socialized early) is also very good with other household pets such as cats and dogs.
Clubs, Registries & Associations
(Based on breed recognition. See store for details on a particular puppy.)
- American Canine Association Inc.
- American Canine Registry
- American Kennel Club
- American Pet Registry, Inc.
- Continental Kennel Club
- National Kennel Club
- United Kennel Club
Group: Working Dogs/Companion
Average Weight: 45-70 lbs.
Personality Traits: Independent, loyal, sturdy
Country of Origin: China
Coat: Double coat, Long/rough, Long/smooth, Wooly undercoat
Check out the Chow Chow puppies for sale we currently have in our stores. If there are none here, please contact us and we’ll be in touch.