The Saint Bernard is a very large, strong, and muscular breed. Their large head is powerful and has a muzzle wider than it is long with teeth that meet in a scissor or level bite. Their ears are medium-sized and set high. The Saint Bernard has a dense coat that is either short or long and rough or smooth. Their coat comes in white with markings of red, black, tan, mahogany, and brindle. Discover more about our Saint Bernard puppies for sale below!
- Saint Bernards are very gentle, friendly, and tolerant of children. They are also patient, obedient, and very loyal.
- The Saint Bernard is intelligent and easy to train. However, due to their size as adults, training should begin early while the dog is a manageable size since an unruly dog of this size can be dangerous and is hard to handle even for a strong adult. Teach it not to jump on humans starting as a puppy.
- The Saint Bernard can make a good watchdog, and their size makes a good deterrent.
- This breed drools a lot; especially after eating or drinking.
- Saint Bernards were originally bred as rescue dogs working to save people from avalanches and therefore have a highly developed sense of smell. The Saint Bernard has also been known to be able to predict storms and avalanches possibly because of their ability to hear low-frequency sounds which humans can’t.
Clubs, Registries & Associations
(Based on breed recognition. See store for details on a particular puppy.)
- American Canine Association Inc.
- American Canine Registry
- American Kennel Club
- American Pet Registry, Inc.
- Continental Kennel Club
- Dog Registry of America, Inc.
- North American Purebred Registry, Inc.
- National Kennel Club
- United Kennel Club
Average Weight: 110-200 lbs.
Personality Traits: Intelligent, friendly, loyal
Country of Origin: Switzerland
Coat: Long or Short