Curious, observant, highly intelligent
Country of Origin
Long double coat
Clubs, Registries & Associations
(Based on breed recognition. See store for details on this particular puppy.)
- American Canine Association
- Continental Kennel Club
- Universal Kennel Club International
- American Kennel Club
- United All Breed Registry
- America's Pet Registry, Inc.
- United Kennel Club
The Havanese is a small, sturdy dog with immense charm and appeal. Native of Cuba, the Havanese is friendly, intelligent and playful. The breed is a bit longer than tall and has a long, untrimmed double coat that comes in white, cream, gold, brown, black, silver or blue. Both outer and under coats are soft and lightweight to ensure protection from the sun and as a cooling agent because this breed is from a tropical climate. This also means that the Havanese needs to be kept warm in cold temperatures in spite of having a double coat. Fans of this breed love its unique, springy gait — a result of the breed's structure and playful, spirited personality. They are quick to learn but also very sensitive so harsh training methods will cause them to rebel; however, they require leadership from their owners or they have a tendency to lead by themselves which can result in behavior issues.
- The Havanese breed is gentle, devoted, affectionate, friendly and playful.
- The Havanese requires a daily walk or jog with off-leash play in a safe area. Keep in mind they do not do well in cold temperatures.
- Good with children and other pets when socialized at any early age.